Sunday, January 16, 2005

Some Kinda Wonderful

As Joss Stone passionately calls for "a witness" on her Some Kind of Wonderful cover, I look over at my man and think, "Amen, sister."

Jerrod's been here in the city for the past 3 days and I am already dreading his departure tomorrow night. It's felt so right being together again. And although it may seem hard to imagine a boy from Corbin, Kentucky navigating the streets of New York City, I have seen it this weekend and it is glorious.

When we leave my house, Jerrod likes to push me a little behind him and say, "I'm in charge" as he looks to the Subway signs. For instance, last night as we were off to a show, he was looking for the 4, 5, or 6 train or the Green Line to the Grand Central Station stop. The problem with Captain Pace being "in charge" is that, being color blind ("chromatically challenged" is the term I think he prefers), he refers to this line as Orange, and can therefore get a little confused. So, it sometimes takes him a minute or two, but he is very persistent and I am very encouraging (as I've been hitting him with a lot of "move to New York and love me" propaganda). This, of course, will never happen, but a girl can dream.

Other fun Jerrod-Pace-in-the-City stories include the bus. I slid my Metro card into the slot and headed down the aisle to find a seat, when I heard the busdriver say, "No son, it's like this. You gotta look at the picture." Jerrod had slid his card incorrectly into the slot using about 4 or 5 different methods - NONE of them matching the picture right above said slot. The driver had to take the card from his hand, place it on top of the diagram so Jerrod could see the perfect match, and then he inserted it for him. Jerrod just smiled, shook his head, and said, "Sorry. I'm from New Jersey."

I find him to be a very strange, yet lovable, individual. . . And Some Kinda Wonderful, indeed.

No comments: