Monday, January 31, 2005

New Love - Lasting Love

I am with an old friend. We are looking at each other through woman eyes - each admiring how the other's heart has matured. She is telling me of the love she has finally found and always deserved. Her eyes are shining off of the tall glass of red wine in front of her. A genuine happiness has rested in her bones and she is finally easy. Even as she giggles and recounts moments of awkwardness, she is confident and at peace.

A smile creeps over my lips and remains for the rest of the dinner. With each bite of pasta, she tells me of their love and I repeat the stories of my own. I am happy for her and happy for myself. I listen as she questions the newness of her relationship: "When do I tell him that I love him?"

I think of the blue eyed, dimpled cheeked, loyal and loving man with my heart, and can't help but share her giddiness - can't help but hear that first promise in my ear, the softest whisper, like a breeze, "I love you."

Knowing love is like fitting the 100th piece into the puzzle. No more searching. No more forcing the wrong piece because it looks like it should fit. No more work. Finding love is finding completion - finding wholeness.

I look at the high blush in my friend's cheek as she speaks of her precious new love, and think how lucky we are to be loved in return.

1 comment:

Christian said...

Love is not rocket science, it's the laying down of ones life. And you get so much more than your life in return.