Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Word Up Wednesday - Peeps

 So the word this week is "peeps," and I'm not talking about the delightful Easter-time sugary confection. I'm talking about your homeboys, your girlfriends, your posse, your inner circle. I'm talking about the folks that you could call up on the phone cause you already have their number in your contacts. These are people you connect with, you vibe with, people you know. These people are so true and loyal to you that when you call them peeps, you never do so without the word "my" in front.

The Urban Dictionary defines peeps as:
        slang for "people," referring to friends, associates, family, or anyone involved in
        your inner circle.
        Me and my peeps are having a get together this Saturday.

The Bloomsbury Dictionary of Contemporary Slang defines peeps as:
        n, pl - occurs in American slang, in which it may refer to one's fellow
        gang members or friends and family - 1997
        "Closer than my peeps you are to me" - Shaggy, from the song Angel

Either way, it's clear that in today's pop culture, one's "peeps" are folks considered to be more than a mere acquaintance.

Try telling that to my dad...

I've told you in a recent Word Up Wednesday about the enjoyment my dad gets out of incorporating hip lingo into his vernacular. Remember how I described the twinkle in his eye when he voraciously used the word "Cha Ching" during my youth? Well now, it's peeps.

He likes to use the word "peeps" to describe folks he doesn't know. An example of this is when he recently told me that some people were coming by to look at the farm where I grew up. (Plug - they're selling their awesome house and sweet 40 acres if you're interested in a great place to live, grow up, raise kids.)

He wrote in an email, "I've got some peeps coming by to look at the farm."

I asked, "These are friends of yours?"

"No," he said, "they're off of Craigslist, from South Carolina."

I tried to tell him that the slang is most commonly used to describe people that you're close to like friends, family, or homeboys. To which he replied, "Oh, I didn't know. I just use it as short for 'people' when I'm typing."

"But Dad," I tried to sway him, "please note that peeps is only one letter shy of people, therefore not really a shortcut at all. Maybe 'ppl' is what you're looking for."

"Oh, okay," he said. And he changed for a bit. I noticed 'ppl' popping up in random emails and a few Skype chats. I thought, 'Yeah, my dad is getting it. He's saving characters, could advance to Twitter and conquer the status choking tweet limits by next week at this rate.'

But slowly, and let's face it - inevitably - 'peeps' returned.

"Are you gonna have some peeps look at your car battery?" he asked me last week.

Well Dad, unless there's an auto shop up here in Queens run by some of my nearest and dearest, then no, I am not. I would venture to say that the majority of my subway commuting homies couldn't even change a tire, much less replace a car battery. I am instead bound to get ripped off by some slick talkers and their peeps.

And PS, Dad, in my middle age, I now love the silly corny jokes and cheesy puns. I have even forgiven you for the time that you once said "bummer" in front of a boy I liked at Space Camp in fifth grade. But for the sake of your own street cred, remember this: Buddy and Lucky = your peeps. Mom and me = your peeps. Hardee's drive-thru employees = ppl (and perhaps, enablers).

Okay, my peeps. Sound off!

6 comments:

Laugh or Weep said...

I think I was shocked the first time I heard my Dad say "dude". Especially since he did it in front of my friends, so I'm picking up what you are putting down, my sista from anotha mista! Okay, that's pretty much the extent of my cool slang. But I can bust out some 80's slang, like, fer sure!
Jesse
PS My hubby can look at your car and prob repair it. I can get you a deal... I have connections (wink)!

kim_brough said...

Where are your parents moving to?

kim_brough said...

This also reminds me of when slang becomes too much of a part of your vernacular. Case in point: I work in the Intensive Care Unit and was calling critical lab values indicating kindney function to the renal doctor. He asked me if the patient was making urine. My response? "Oh, for shiz". After about 10 seconds of silence I realized what I had said and clarified that " for shiz" meant yes. His thick Serbian accent replied "This is what I thought". Oops.
:-)

Alecia Whitaker said...

Hahaha! That's great girls.
Also, Kim, my folks have a place in Florida but need to get the farm in KY off their hands. Will sell just the house or the house and land. Spread the word!

Gramma-Whit said...

We showed the farm to "folks" yesterday and today. Dad picked up on your lesson of the correct usage of peeps. Lesson learned - for now.

Alecia Whitaker said...

Okay, so now it gets even more confusing for Dad. My folks showed some folks (or ppl) the farm yesterday. Did Buddy Renaker or any of y'alls other peeps stop by?