Thursday, May 12, 2011

Throwback Thursdays - The Golden Arches

As I sit here with my father, in a booth at McDonalds in the Poconos, I am reminded of vacations in my earlier years. Mom and Dad drove us all over the country so we could see beaches, mountains, museums, and the way other folks live. I remember scanning the scenery in games of "I Spy" on those roadtrips, playing my brother's Gameboy, and reading Sweet Valley Twins books as the mileage continued to climb on the family car. But what sticks out to me now, right now, is that my dad has done a 180 in life when it comes to The Golden Arches.

Instead of, "Are we there yet?", my siblings and I would instead ask, "Can we eat at McDonald's?" A Hardees man, my father would groan and do all he could to avoid getting us Happy Meals. He didn't like McDonald's and it was a treat when we could convince him to pull the mini-van around the drive-thru. Oftentimes, he would even get us what we wanted and then drive to the pull up window at Wendy's or Arby's for himself.

But now, as he gets nearer and nearer his golden years, he also seems to be drawn nearer and nearer to the golden arches. He is the one suggesting McDonald's. (Were it not for a BBQ establishment called Tickle My Pig and heavy propaganda from yours truly yesterday, we would've had Mickey Dees again making it three days in a row. Ahhh, vacationing done right.)

Now I know that Wi-fi is the real reason we are here right now. I haven't been able to blog from our hotel and he hasn't been able to read the news, but I wonder if free wi-fi at McDonald's isn't just a ruse to pack away another quarter-pounder. And listen, I'm not complaining. I love the ice cream cones here. I dig the fries. And I would be lying if I didn't also have a penchant for McDonald's coke, (I mean, what in the world do they do to their fountain cokes here?!). But it is truly fascinating to me that my dad is now a champion for McDonald's and all it has to offer.

What about you? Have your parents changed post-retirement? In what ways?
Also - McDonald's - I'm lovin' it or It's killin' me?

3 comments:

Becky B said...

McDonald's Fountain Coke is my favorite beverage. Ever.

Nathan, Julie and Kyle! said...

Your brother keeps the one on Harrodsburg Rd in business. I think they need to give him naming rights to a booth or two....

Dad-Whit said...

I am still not the biggest fan of The Golden Arches , but with free Wi-Fi, sweet tea like I grew up on, and great ice cream, I do have reasons to go there. If there is a Hardees or Arby's near, Micky Dees comes in second.