Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Word Up Wednesday: The Flext

It's come to my attention that I tend to make up words and I should share them with the world wide web. Sometimes, you just need to say something and Webster leaves you hangin'.

This happened recently when a friend of mine told me that our mutual friend had been blatantly flirting with her via text message. Now, you know how things are these days: only x amount of characters allowed per text or Tweet or complimentary gift note on an online purchase. So things are getting condensed.

Oh my God has become OMG. Praise the Lord is PTL. Laugh out loud is LOL, (and that one in particular is greatly overused, IMO).

So as my friend and I wrote back and forth about this texting of a highly flirtatious nature, I began to refer to it as flexting. I'm not sure why this term doesn't already exist, to tell you the truth. I guess it's the G-rated little brother to the sext, which is a text of sexual nature - oftentimes including a pic.

But isn't the flext more fun? By nature not being overtly sexual or overstepping, don't you need to be more clever when formulating a juicy flext?

And the flext is a great tool for singles, not getting anybody in trouble if things don't pan out. If you can make somebody blush via cellular reading, then you are one suave Cupid.

What say you? Would you rather hear a news story about an inappropriate flext, or more about role models like Favre and Woods texting pics of their manhood to women they aren't married to? Feel free to post a few meaty flexts you've sent or received in the comment section.

Flext someone today!

1 comment:

Merle said...

Not to "repudiate" you're statement, but consider yourself "flext". ;)
Lovin' on ya!