Monday, April 18, 2011

Momma Mondays - Sick Baby Boy

I am so blessed with a child that rarely cries. He has been known to fuss. He will also occasionally complain. But the few times that I've heard him really cry have always been due to pain. That's why I was so alarmed last night when he screamed out around 6pm and why I continued to worry all through the night.

Just got back from the doctor and Knox has a cold. A sore throat and a cold. I figured as much, but am so unaccustomed to him crying so hard and for so long that I thought I should go and ask the guy with his M.D. to be certain. We can't stop his nose from running like a faucet. We can't make it easier for him to breathe so that he can sleep longer than one hour at a time. We can't force him to eat, which he won't do because he's cranky and because his throat hurts. Doc says there is nothing I can do for him, which is the worst part of the whole thing.

He's almost 9 months old. He's been a healthy little guy and really, is still pretty healthy. The cold will run its course as these things do and I will just have to keep rocking him and singing to him and shushing him and loving him until it does. I wish I could Green Mile that cold right out of his little body. I wish I could kiss it away and love it away. I wish I could do anything to make him feel better.

But what I can do is count our blessings. It's just a cold. Thank the Lord.

And as for the Momma part of this whole thing: this job is 24/7, y'all. I'm tellin' ya. So stop what you're doing and call your own momma. Say "thank you." Cause for all the long nights and runny noses and crying spells and feelings of helplessness, it's a nice thing to hear.

No comments: