Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Momma Mondays - Birthday Planning

So all I've been doing the past few days is planning Knox's birthday party. I keep trying to remember what last summer was like, and it seems light years away. Was my belly really so big that it sweat on my thighs? According to past Facebook Status Updates, yes it was. And now I watch this amazing little man scoot and crawl around the room (whoa, and at this very moment, squeeze my big toe - attention seeking anyone?). Again I will succumb to the clich e: They grow up too fast.

And what a hypocrite this little tyke has turned me into! We live in a small one-bedroom apartment in Queens and when I was pregnant with Knox, I repeatedly encouraged the grandparents not to go hog wild with toys. Even in those early newborn months, I reminded them that great Christmas presents could be diapers, onesies, things the baby needed. And I've told my husband that his birthday party should be a small gathering where we shouldn't spend much money since he won't remember it anyway. And yet, all I've done every day this week since Saturday is buy the baby a birthday present. All of a sudden, he needs blocks. He needs not just one, but four new board books. He needs a colorful parachute and polka dot beach ball and kiddie splash pool and baby friends to come over Saturday and his own cake and colorful balloons. What?!

I can't stop myself. I'm a monster. There's no room for any of this stuff. Heat wave + internet = bad news for both the small confines of the apartment as well as our bank account. Whoops!

But I can't help myself. I just love watching Knox's mind work. Love watching him stack and move his toys, organize everything just so, then change it all up again. I love that he plays so well by himself, but checks in with me often, crawling over and pulling up to his knees to give me a big open mouth kiss on the cheek. I love that he talks and talks, nonstop. I love his squeals and I love the face he makes when he passes gas, almost as if he has startled even himself. And I loooooove his sweet giggle.

He's the greatest person to ever come into my life. You know what? Now that I think about it, a guy this great deserves another present. Now let me see...

1 comment:

Becky B said...

It's not your fault. He's pretty awesome.