Wednesday, April 06, 2005

New York Fashions Observation

It seems to me that in New York, and only in New York, one can don any item of clothing and be considered "stylish". People layer all sorts of colors with all different types of material and it's "the style". I see yellow cardigans over rainbow brite tees with spikey belts and converse tennies. I see brown courdoroy pants sagging low to expose heart speckled boxers with a polka dot tie and john deere cap. Today I saw a young man sporting fake diamonds earrings (in both ears), a black blazer, a bright orange tie tucked into a beige vest, bright white slacks, and white-on-white air force ones (dude, it is sooo not memorial day).

I don't see how they pull it off! There is a woman right across from me on the train wearing BLUE JEAN PARACHUTE PANTS! Why do those even exist?! She has a sparkly sequined type blouse with it and struts the ensemble in her old keds - tossing her frizzy black hair around and slinging her DENIM BACKPACK over her shoulder (that thing is stuffed full... probably of more denim fabric).

I am wearing a light blue long sleeve tee-shirt with blue jeans and grayish blue nike tennis shoes. My hair is straight today and I have on very litte make-up. I am overheating in a black pea coat and a sky blue scarf. Boy, do I stick out like a sore thumb.

If it wasn't for the scarf, they'd think I was a tourist!

No comments: