Thursday, April 21, 2005

Don't ever grow up: inspired by the story of Peter Pan.

I just watched Finding Neverland again. I gotta tell you: if you have not seen that movie, you need to put it on your list of 'things to do'. I'm serious. I know you might have other pressing matters on that list, such as mowing the lawn, brushing your teeth, or waxing your back. Listen, as important as those things may be, seeing this movie is a must.

I don't want to rave about the actors or the cinematography or the music. I just need to say that this movie moves me in such a way that when the credits roll, I find myself saying, "That's it. That's what I wanna do."

And I'm not talking about acting or writing or being famous. I'm just talking about moving people, giving them hope and encouragment, providing society with something worthwhile to invest in. Reminding everybody that there is so much more to life than we let ourselves realize when we get caught up in bills and work and 'things to do'.

Sometimes, it gets so lonely here that I wonder if I'm missing out; but when I was back home, I felt the same way. After seeing this movie, I realize that no matter where I am, happiness is still a state of mind.

At work, I am constantly getting in trouble for laughing too loud, talking too much, for skipping in the dining room, and singing aloud. A lot of times, the guys at work will ask me if I smoke crack or if I've ever under gone a mental health evaluation. They look at me like I'm crazy, they ask me why I'm always so happy, and they tell me to "be a professional".

But they also look at me in wonder.

Some people just grow up too fast; but we could all use a trip to Neverland every now and then. Escape the prison of every day routines, and lose ourselves in imagination. I challenge you to do something different today, something child-like, something freeing. I dunno. Sing loudly in the car to an old song, skip down the sidewalk, tag your boss and then say, "You're it!"

And please, don't ever grow up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As luck would have it, I have been on the receiving end of the "tag, you're it" part of this blog. And, unless you're ready for it, you'll be confused for a minute. Some of the times that this happened, I would find myself asking "Did I start this game, and forgot we were playing?" That said, yet another great blog, by the Queen of Blogging!

-Jarnagin

Anonymous said...

In your eye and stick it in deep! OOOOOh!

Cressy said...

I love this entry! Banal existence is such a sad thing! We all need to be nuts and goofy and spread our happiness to others! Because just being alive is such FUN! :)

studpace said...

Look at me, I'm Peter Pan!!!!!
I'm going to be a boy forever!!!!!!!

Gramma-Whit said...

I can't imagine Alecia laughing too loud! Just like I can always find Dad in a crowd if I wait long enough for the cough, I can find Alecia by her laugh.

I am glad you can enjoy life--wherever you are!

Bobbie Jo said...

I felt like you were speaking straight to me Alecia. I get the same weird looks a lot and I get asked if I'm taking drugs on a weekly basis. I was a Reds game last week and we were just goofing off and a guy asked if he could have whatever we were on. But I take all of this as a compliment, and am glad that I have yet to grow up.