Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The Love Sage

On the other end of the internet magic - through networks and cable hook-ups and satellites and ports - from his screen to mine in the blink of an eye - my younger brother and I cover 800 miles with a few keyboard pecks. He tells me of his loneliness. I can count the number of people I know here on one hand. He tells me that he wants to find the right girl. I think I am lucky to be in love.

I also think of the countless times I've spent in girl-talk, listening to them ask if there are any good guys left, and wanting to reply "yes, I am related to one". He tells me that he wishes he were buckled in next to a pretty young Christian girl on his way home tomorrow - one that he could bring home for Thanksgiving dinner. I tell him that "pretty" is subjective, "young" will age, and "Christian" is probably a good idea.

He is frustrated. Wants a relationship, wants to be loved, wants to share secrets with someone, wants to hold someone tight, wants to be held tightly by someone... doesn't want much - just love.

He tells me that he wants to find a girl who will believe in what he believes in - I tell him she is waiting and will believe in him, too.

I tell him about the index cards my mother sent me last month. She knew that I was having a hard time adjusting to New York and that I feel as though I have no career direction. One of the index cards shouts such a basic truth that I still balk at its simplicity and my ignorance:

IF IT SEEMS SLOW, DO NOT DESPAIR, FOR THESE THINGS WILL SURELY COME TO PASS. JUST BE PATIENT! THEY WILL NOT BE OVERDUE A SINGLE DAY! - Habakkuk 2:3

We're on God's time. I tell him to keep his chin up - it'll happen one day - she'll materialize one of these days - and they will love each other...

and God will be pleased with His timing.

No comments: