Friday, November 25, 2011

Fan Club Friday - My Book Trailer!

Book trailers have become huge in the young adult world. Teens are connected, are online all the time, and are much more willing to watch a clip on YouTube than read a synopsis on a blog. And why not? Moving images paint a vivid scene and can draw you in quickly while leave you wanting more.

I knew I wanted to do a book trailer from the get go. And since the book is already an homage to my home state, I wanted to use young Kentucky talent for the job. I contacted The Kentucky Governor's School for the Arts and they hooked me up with a couple of 17 year old New Media students: Sam Stucky and Julie Willian. I mailed them advanced copies of the book so that they could get a sense of the story. Then I posted a casting on Facebook and used this social network to cast the actors. Everyone, including the actor playing Ricki Jo's dog Bandit, is from Kentucky! The students were so professional and amazing to work with. I organized the major shooting day and wrote a shooting script, we had lots of long phone calls, and I sent emails with character descriptions. But it's amazing to me that I've never personally met these kids, we did it from different states, and the outcome is this rewarding. 


So, I hope this book trailer makes you as eager to buy and read my first book as I am for its release on January 2, 2012 wherever books are sold. Of course, you can go ahead and pre-order it at B&N.com or Amazon.

Check out more of Sam Stucky's videos here. I'm a Sam fan - a big fan.

2 comments:

JG Prats said...

So happy for you, Alecia! Can't wait to read your lovely book. Also, the multitalented Sam Stucky goes to school with my daughter, Lily--you might remember rescuing her when she got stuck under a desk at UK!
Congratulations!!!

Alecia Whitaker said...

Every time I think of Lily, I remember that day. Oh, I'm laughing out loud again right now. I stayed late to talk about a paper or something and then we heard her cry. My favorite part was when you rushed over and said, "Oh Lily! Not AGAIN!" Baaaahahaha I couldn't believe it had happened before. And now that I have my own toddler, it makes perfect sense.