Thursday, June 09, 2011

Throwback Thursdays - DuckTales

Yesterday I had an audition for a vlog gig and as usual, Knox tagged along. Secure in his stroller, we filed into the small lobby of the building where the casting was being held only to be met with a long line of folks also waiting for the elevator. Apparently they'd been waiting for a while because I overheard someone up front mention that he works in the building and that the elevators were both old and slow. It being 90 degrees outside, I was covered in sweat and hoping to freshen up some in the bathroom upstairs before the casting; but if the elevators took too long, I wouldn't have time... meaning I would have to waltz into the casting with pit stains and smeared makeup.

Once it finally arrived, the guy in front of us turned around and said, "It's so hot and you've got a baby. Go ahead of me. I'll catch the next one."

It was such a sweet gesture. He looked to be in his 20s, handsome without trying, and reminded me a little of a chivalrous Kentucky boy. I thought, "He'd be great for my sister."

Ended up that after we strolled into the car with the other passengers, there was still room and he was able to hitch a ride up with us after all. That's when he said that it was so hot out, he wished that the elevator were filled with ice. And that's when I said I wish the entire floor of the studio were covered in ice and we could dive in and swim around like in DuckTales.

Which is the exact moment that I was overcome with nostalgia.


Wasn't that the best show ever? Scrooge McDuck would swim around in his vault full of gold and always try to protect his Number One Dime. Huey, Dewey, and Louie were hyper, but clever and helped protect Scrooge's money from the bad guys (mainly the Beagle Boys and Magic DeSpell). I loved that show and the theme song is one of those that will stay in your head for hours. It's one of those songs that even after 20+ years, you still remember. (You might be humming it right now. Otherwise, check it below.)

I guess I don't remember a ton about the actual episodes; I certainly couldn't write the Wikipedia page for the show. But I do remember that intro. Swimming around in a room full of money was every bit as fascinating back then as it still is today. Can you even imagine?

3 comments:

Becky B said...

I reference Scrooge McDuck and his money pit probably on a monthly basis. I love this throwback. Lauchpad rules.

kim_brough said...

I loved this show as a kid, also and was so pumped when I found an entire series of it for a mere $12. Yeah, it's one of those kid shows that is not nearly as cool when you're an adult. Fail. BUT, my nephews like to watch them when they visit! And I still quote Scrooge saying "work smarter, not harder" about once a week at work.

Bobbie Jo said...

A)I was humming the theme song the entire time I was reading the post.
B)Please tell me you got that guys number.