Sunday, September 11, 2005

The City Lights

Tonight, as I took out the trash and recyclables with my roommates, I looked over our gate and saw the brightest two lights shining up into the sky. I didn't even realize that that was the direction of the city. I always walk that way - take that very route to the subway - and yet never realized that over those grafitti stained buildings rose Manhattan. I couldn't see the skyline, but the spirits of all those lost four years ago today were shouting a defiant message to our enemies. These Twin Tower shadows - tall beams bursting up from Ground Zero - illuminated the sky reminding us all of our loss, but also of our grit.

I felt so proud to be an American as I headed back inside. Proud to know that in the face of adversity, I am surrounded by courage.

No comments: