Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Startled to Find Him Here

As I rolled over on my side to fall asleep after another long day at work, I pulled the soft comforter up over my shoulders and around my neck, just tucked under my chin... and I was startled. I found him there - his scent - sewed into the seams of my blanket. I gasped, pulled back, threw the cover down, looked into the shadows making sure I was alone. I was.

It felt just like a bad dream. Or like someone had come up behind me and "boo!" so I jumped out of my own comfortable skin. Like the night I opened the closet door, so sure that someone was hiding there that I screamed when a loosely placed sweater fell from the top shelf. That was the feeling when I inhaled and found him wrapped around me.

I turned away from the dark room again and pulled the covers back up. I inhaled. He was gone. Maybe it was all my imagination. Maybe my heart was playing tricks on me.

No comments: